Monday, August 18, 2014

Rainy Season Update--let's discuss food

Rainy season has officially arrived.  In fact, it's in full swing now.  Everyone was really worried because it came over a month late, but it's finally here and it's not messing around.  In the last week it has rained every day, with a couple days that were rainy from morning til night.  I hope this means good things for our crops!  I have heard the millet and corn should be a meter high by now and it's just started to grow.  This time of year is also known as hunger season, because everyone is farming so they don't have time to do any other work--the next income will come at harvest.  This means we're dipping hard into our millet and groundnut store, as I live in Fanafana land, where "chere" is just as much the staple as rice.  Since rice is expensive (the price of a bag has more than doubled in the last 5 years), millet (chere) with groundnut sauce is what's for dinner.  I myself like to eat chere because its more nutritious and filling than white rice, although the sauce my family makes for it leaves much to be desired...  On the days I need a break from the family food bowl, I cook simple American meals for myself like macaroni and cheese, salad, pasta, sandwiches, whatever I can scrape up at the moment.  Recently I made a corn dish with sauteed veggies and chicken.  It was really yummy and my family gobbled up the leftovers.
The good news about upcountry food is that now the grass is growing again, the cows have food and will start producing milk! Chere ak Meew (Gambia's version of Cheerios and milk) is the typical fanafana, or upcountry Wolof, dish. My favorite!  You can add salt or sugar to the mix, and if there's leftover milk, let it set overnight and you have sour milk!  Also so yummy especially on top of rice or millet porridge with groundnuts.
In other food news, Abdou, my cutie boyfriend, ate pizza for the first time the other day and has declared it his new favorite food.  He also ate cheesecake and of course loved it, even preferred it over chocolate cake.  Smart man.
Also some fellow volunteers cooked dinner last night and it was the best food I've eaten in the Gambia thus far.  Baked teriyaki chicken, salad complete with avocados and delicious vinaigrette dressing, squash soup and homemade croutons.  Wish I was talented and motivated enough to pull something like this off!  DELICIOUS.
So there is good food news and bad food news these days.  Trying to keep my attitude on the bright side.  Fresh milk, mangoes, and avocados are going to keep my tummy and taste buds happy these next few months.  Get it while ya can!

No comments:

Post a Comment